Pondering some things, the oracle suggests that I reach out for help to friends…. I would love to discuss your answers if you would like to share thoughts on the questions below or any other thoughts.
1. How can I reach a wider audience? This question has multiple parts.
—- So far I have sold 8 copies of my ebook and only managed to give away five during the 5 KDP free days I’m allotted during each 90 day period. This despite giving away pretty cards with the title, sidewalk chalk, Google Adwords, Facebook announces, amazon ads, a couple open mics, WordPress announces, my website, and beginning to be active on twitter. I think all the paid ones have been family. I may have some reviews forthcoming from contacts made through bookreviewdirectory.wordpress.com (think I’ve got that right), but they are not out yet, and with my experiences so far it is hard to think about real success. There were no conversions from any of my plugs on WordPress, btw. (Looking for amazon reviews! be the first!). Also should I cancel Kindle Select so I can go to other marketplaces and platforms?
— I suppose more ads in combination with existing reviews may help.
— So that is one part of the question. How do I sell people on poetry ebooks?
—- How can I reach a wider audience? It just occurred to me a few minutes ago that I could more effectively use advertising by advertising for example my twitter, and then plugging my book regularly while keeping people interested with my twitter poems. I have been steadily adding followers (from a base of two, up to I’m not sure but perhaps 14) on twitter and going up and down by one on here (having taken 3 years to reach the current 317)… I don’t want to puff up my Facebook friend list. I like it how it is and don’t want to go adding all the people from high school, middle school, acquaintances etc. I was off it for four years for a reason. I don’t currently have anything in the bank for more advertising, though…
— What ideas do you have to expand my followings faster?
2. Thoughts on my work. Strengths, weaknesses, eccentricities, places where it gets monotonous? I will of course not take your word as gospel, but I will listen to and consider all critiques. What am I doing well? What grabs you about my work? What is limiting my appeal and is it something I ought to change, or just part of being different?
3. A friend tells me some of my work ought to be submitted to European surrealists presses (in particular As You Disintegrate). Does anyone have names of any of these, as she has so far not deigned to give me any?
4. It is exhausting looking at the online samples of literary journals to see if I would be a good fit, which the experts say you ought to do before submitting, particularly when I do not fit most of the ones I look at as far as I can tell. Any recommendations?
5. Since I am saving a lot of my work to keep offline and use for submissions now, there is little going up here (although I have been doing twitter poems @tribalephemeral). I suppose I should post a bit more regularly, but it’s hard to let go of things I have just written out of nowhere, so I will now ask for any requests for prompts or topics you’d like to see, and those ones will go up on here for sure, and I’ll leave a note on your most recent post letting you know when yours is up (odd how wordpress.com has no private message feature, is it not?)
That is all I can think of for now. I’ll put a condensed version of my questions on facebook and twitter too. Also, please follow my facebook page, Lostinmist! And if anyone is a Tumblr, I’m at Tribal Ephemeral and have no Tumblr followers yet! I look forward to any and all answers or other comments and suggestions and observations. Have a nice night.